Defense spending is at an all-time high due to the current state of global geo-political tensions. However, defense budgets around the world as well as in the US are under pressure due to competing demands for limited resources. To maintain its technological edge and readiness, the US military is investing heavily in new technologies such as artificial intelligence, cyber capabilities, and hypersonic weapons.
To address these challenges, the US defense industry will need to continue investing in new technologies and capabilities, while also finding ways to improve efficiency and reduce costs. This may involve adopting new business models, such as greater use of public-private partnerships and innovative procurement practices. Collaboration and innovation will be key to developing solutions that meet the complex and evolving needs of the defense industry.
The increased importance of R&D for new defense and security measures can be seen in the government funding of this function in the US. This budget will ultimately impact all the organizations in the value chain who provide products to the defense markets.
US defense focus on R&D
The challenges facing the US defense industry are significant, but they also present opportunities for innovation and collaboration. 3DSE focus is on growth through innovation and R&D excellence, as well as enabling collaboration.
3DSE works with organizations that ensure national defense and security on land, on the sea, in the air and in space. Technology is an integral part of being ready for the future and new technology requires innovation. Cross-industry hands-on expertise is the foundation of client engagements via the in-house 3DSE team, partners and external industry experts. Building an R&D organization that is ready to support changing needs of this industry segment requires streamlining product development processes, agile systems engineering, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements, scalable modular architectures, collaborating with other companies, addressing cybersecurity concerns and an advanced level of R&D expertise.
Case studies and insights
Product cost optimization in the context of the award of a major contract with a leading manufacturer of maritime security systems
- Joint design approach, agile and creative techniques and in terms of "de-contenting"
- Joint elaboration of the largest cost reduction potentials and path to implement
- Product development team reset of working priorities
Systems engineering quality & performance program
- Implementation of requirements management system
- Implementation of system design definition
- Implementation of processes for functional safety, customer review and supplier qualification
Systems engineering basic qualification
simulation-based SE Awareness Training for an Aircraft Manufacturer
- Developed simulator-based basic Awareness Training of Systems Engineering
- Experience end-to-end development process in a simulated project environment
- Cross-functional training to allow different stakeholders to learn about other perspectives
Definition and Implementation of Systems Engineering
- Transformation from document-based to model/tool-based requirements engineering
- Increased transparency and KPI measurements
- Customized and launched new tool platform