The medical device industry is currently facing numerous challenges, such as the pursuit of sustainable growth, increasing cost pressures, a greater emphasis on evidence-based outcomes and more stringent regulatory requirements. Additionally, there are emerging sustainability requirements and advancements in technology that present both new opportunities and the need for continuous innovation. In this dynamic environment, R&D organizations must rethink their business models, product portfolios, operating models and capabilities to retain their competitive advantage.
Market projections, 2023
3DSE works with clients to grow their business via sustainable innovation programs. They design or revise the innovation strategy, help master innovation and product portfolios and radically accelerate innovation initiatives resulting in increase of revenue by 20%. Additionally, 3DSE works with clients to increase their R&D performance. By improving the right R&D capabilities, efficiency as well as speed will be increased significantly.
Case studies and insights
World Market Leader in Prosthetics
A family business that has grown over 100 years is seeking an IPO with increased requirements for reliability and productivity of their R&D organization.
- Implemented a global R&D initiative driving performance from 27% to 75 %
- Increased the share of new product developments by 15%
- Reduce overhead by 6 %
Global Medical and Pharmaceutical Device Company
Due to increasing regulatory requirements, Medical Device Regulation (MDR) in Europe, approximately 80% of R&D resources in one center of excellence were focused on sustaining activities.
- A reorganization of the R&D led to an increase of efficiency for sustaining projects by 17%
- 23% of resources were freed up for innovation projects post MDR
- Strengthened product line focus through end-to-end ownership
Agile in a Systems Engineering World
The challenges for technical product development are significant and noticeable. The focus on hardware, inflexible development processes, silo teams document-based data collection are outdated. Agile systems engineering as a solution.
- The changes driving the need for a new approach to product development
- The role of systems engineering
- How agile development makes a difference