Modularity and scalability need to be incorporated into product architectures to ensure that R&D organizations keep internal complexity low in order to meet the changing and diverse expectations of their customers at a competitive price point. Having a portfolio of building blocks that can be aligned to develop solutions for specific markets enables faster time to market using interchangeable and reusable systems (modules). Leveraging stable design principles and standardized interfaces allows for the development of a sustainable product portfolio to support growth and competitiveness.
3DSE provides the tools to successfully launch a scalable modular product architecture. This begins with portfolio strategy, technical design of the architecture, financial and organizational design requirements, product lifecycle management and change management. Processes for deployment of these outcomes are also a part of the engagement scope.
The 3DSE team holds deep modular architecture expertise based on best practices from several industries. Based on many years of experience in this area, there are six aspects to support the introduction of a modular platform approach that have been identified. The full scope enables the organization to cover high external product variance to meet specific customer needs by keeping the internal complexity low. Depending on the modularization strategy this can lead to increasing overall sales volume and/or decreasing internal costs. With 3DSE methods and tools, a collaborative approach with clients’ technical and organization structure, a modular platform approach in can be implemented.
Case studies and insights
Maximize efficiency of part reuse
Initialization and support of a sustainable modular architecture development process for engines
- Minimized the number of unique parts enabling reuse across products
- Standardization of interfaces and architectural pillars
- Enable engine customization
Holistic architecture management
“Holistic” architecture management approach to balance consumer needs and complexity while reducing costs and time to market
- Leverage synergies across regions and product types
- Reduce internal complexity
- Maintain customer value
Future strategy and product synergy
- Increased the focus on customer and company value
- Standardized interface to enable module reuse
- Centralized development unit established
Scalable modular architecture to drive efficiency
Conceptional design, introduction and operationalization of a scalable modular architecture approach for agricultural equipment
- Defined architectural pillars that enable scaling and sharing of components
- Consistent portfolio vision with 13 models and 4 architectures
- Clear module strategy which defines reuse of modules